Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Gender Fluidity

"Look! There's a boy in the girl's bathroom!" 

This phase has stuck with me since 2nd grade. I was using the restroom at the local race track when a little girl was alarmed by my short bowl cut and bib overalls. I ran out of that rest room at fast as I could and went crying to my mother. At 8 years old, I didn't fully understand gender identity. I did know that I loved wearing loose jeans and tee shirts. I despised having my hair brushed and begged my parents to let me get all my hair cut off. After that bathroom incident, I grew my hair out and vowed never to be mistaken for a boy again.

Well here I am now, 20 years old now back to where I was twelve years ago. As an out lesbian, I have experienced much adversity getting to where I am today. I currently have a short pixie haircut, often covered by snap-backs and beanies. I love the style of men's clothes, and eighty percent of my wardrobe is exactly that. I have struggled for years finding the style that I feel most comfortable in. I have felt pressure from society to look and act like a 'lady', but never found happiness in myself when I did. I can proudly say now that the way I dress reflects who I am as a person. I want to share my experiences, opinions, and style with you, the reader!

This blog's purpose is to essentially to discuss the fluidity of gender in the fashion world in terms of style and self identity. It doesn't matter if you are gay or straight, skinny or curvy, you deserve to be comfortable in the way you dress and present. As a Marketing major with a handful of years of retail sales and management experience, I believe I can offer insight on how to become the most happy with your style. It was when I wad a team lead at Aeropostale that I really harnessed my own style. I will be giving some advice on how to find clothes to best fit your body and style, as well as how to look professional without having to conform back to feminine clothing.  I want this to be a discussion, so I would love your feedback via comment, email, or twitter (@askatomboy)!


Unfeminine styles are hard to find, I'm here to help!




1 comment:

  1. I think we're all lucky to live in a time that is fairly accepting of people's unique identity.

    ReplyDelete